Saturday, April 28, 2012

Faith

What does your faith mean to you? That is, if you have faith. Let me tell you about my mother in law, a true believer in faith. A devoted catholic. A woman who is only happy doing for others. This woman is dying, she has a progressive illness that steals the very breath from her body. It's not from smoking but from genetics. She does everything and I mean everything right, takes her medications at the prescribed times, even getting up at 4am to take one of her medications. I won't go into all of it but you get the picture. Lately her illness is taking more of a toll on her. She's tethered to a bigger tank of oxygen, she loses her breath, she gasps and pants with exertion. Her faith gives her fuel, it feeds her soul, perhaps takes away some of the fear I imagine she has to feel. Tonight I went to mass with her. I am not a good catholic. I don't go to mass, I have some issues with the church itself but not God. Anyway, she lost her breath in the car but it didn't stop her. Her mission was to get to church and she did. She used to go daily but her illness has sidelined her. It hit me at church. She sat next to me and she sang. Her voice strong with conviction and faith. Her voice began to waver as her breath left her. I felt tears in my eyes, knowing that this woman next to me believed so much in where she was going. I can't ever know what she truly feels about her situation but I do know her whole life was devoted to God, her family and helping others. ********************************************************************************************************************* To laugh often and love much, to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics; to appreciate beauty; to give of one's self; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived --- that is to have succeeded. -- Harry Emerson Fosdick

No comments:

Post a Comment